Running Time: 40 minutes
Preview this Video
Instead of telling kids “just say no”, this program takes the approach of showing them the problems, the path to those problems, and asking them to decide. For teens already smoking pot or at very high risk for starting, this 2-part program is highly effective at cutting through denial that marijuana can be harmful.
What ties it all together is the dilemma of one young man, “Jason”, who is considering smoking pot. In conversations with an appealing female narrator, Jason expresses all the beliefs and misinformation that most teens have. But the narration, interviews with recovering marijuana abusers, and expert testimony combine to reveal the flimsiness of Jason’s thinking against real-life effects of smoking today’s potent marijuana.
PART ONE shows how becoming a chronic user is a gradual process that typically takes over one’s life in steps. It’s hard to SEE the problems marijuana is causing–as they are happening.
- First, it may involve just social use with friends
- Gradually, the person begins using to “escape” or deal with problems/stress
- Along the way, the marijuana user begins spending more and more time with other users
- A physical tolerance develops
- The person drops activities that don’t involve getting high
- Eventually doesn’t do anything except smoke.
- Smoke” becomes the answer to all problems.
3 important scientific facts also come out:
- Today’s pot is many times stronger than in the 60s.
- There is now clear evidence that marijuana can be addictive.
- Pot affects everyone differently.
PART TWO identifies just what the negative effects of chronic marijuana use can be, including:
- Loss of motivation in school/work/goals
- Short-term memory loss
- Stunted emotional and intellectual growth
- Family and relationship problems
- Going on to other drug use
Also in Part 2, recovering teen marijuana users share how much better their lives have become since they got help and stopped using, providing hope and inspiration to viewers who needs it.
Includes Counselor’s Guide with discussion questions and reproducible client worksheets.
“A Reelizations Production”